Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Loving Farewell To Will


For those who knew Willy the Cat, you will be saddened to hear that he took his last purr today. To make a sad story short he got extremely sick a few days ago. Midsummer 2012 did in fact feel like the longest day of the year in this house as we watched him decline all too quickly. Though the vet tried and speculated, there was really nothing we could do but put him to rest right around 10am this morning. He was 12 years, 3 months and 8 days old. 

Willy was a hellian of a cat and he kept it no secret...unless he was luring you in to swipe at you. It was a game for more than one friend of ours to do everything they could to get him to like them enough to not draw blood. Whether he chose to roll in your flip flop, rub on your handbag or head butt your feet, if he liked you he showed it. We always feel most fortunate to win the affections of the difficult critters. High as he was on the difficult scale, for Tim and I and a fortunate few he was loving and a great big crack up. Twenty-one pounds in his heyday. Our big fattie.

We buried him in our new yard next to where I want to put my vegetable garden in the spring. He didn't get to go outside for the first 12 years but he spent the last 3 months in NM rolling in the dirt, chasing lizards and loving every minute of it. I think if he had stayed he would've liked to hang out with us in the garden. And there he is.

So, great cat of many nicknames, we send you off to the next adventure with a whole lot of love. You will be missed terribly. We hope that you get to come back as a dog next time.

3 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of being tricked into thinking he liked me only to @#%$ me up a few times. After living with him for a few years, I think he finally took pitty on me and let me in his little circle of trust. (or it was all just a trick). He'll always be 21 pounds in my eyes. Totally special little big man. Sorry Tim and Mick. I hope you guys are hanging in there. I'm sad to hear he left.
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you. Those furry little ones really worm their way into our hearts, and his presence will surely be missed. I'm sure, however, you will also remember him with lots of smiles! All 21lbs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Jeremiah says, the death of animals makes us realize our own mortality. My response to that was "good thing Sadie is going to live forever"...don't I wish? I feel for you guys...I'm glad Willy got to have such a great last three months. Hang in there. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete